Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Importance of Paying Attention

              So this morning I realized something about myself that I seriously don't like.  I've been suspecting it for a while- years, even- but it's only now come into sharp focus...and just in the nick of time, really. I have this problem where I generally assume that I'm always right.  It's not, like, horribly out of control and obnoxious or any thing (the majority of the time, at least) but I'd be a fool to pretend it wasn't a part of my personality.  It's just that if I am bothering to speak on a topic it is usually because I believe that I genuinely have something to contribute.  The trouble comes in when that something is a tidbit that I misunderstood, or that I picked up from an unreliable source. I hope I am not fooling myself when I say that when I say stupid stuff it is usually a product of the latter- but good analytical skills to NOT cancel out intellectual laziness. If I am ever going to develop a voice worth trusting, I need to not only THINK before I open up my mouth, but also do the appropriate background research.  And if I haven't done those things to the appropriate degree, I ought to keep my mouth shut and start listening.  My pride took a hit today, but thankfully it was a small one.  Let's hope I can make use of the lesson to keep myself from bigger, more public spills in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment