Saturday, February 1, 2014

Ethnography of a millenial anthropology blogger

I've decided for the sake of authenticity (and bookmarks) to keep this url for all posts related to the science writing course and beyond. This means, of course, that Dr. Little will maintain his current access to the occasional stuff-you-don't-necessarily-discuss-with-your-professor, but it also means that I can freely explore the experience of bringing biomedical anthropology to a larger audience without obsessing over where my different voices begin and end.

Which is important, because as I've said before- anthropology is about context.  Holism and relativism are hallmarks of the field; we operate intentionally and unapologetically in the gray areas and I'm going to put my money where my mouth is.  I expect it to be something of a challenge, as I've seen a number of bloggers struggle to find a balanced style that is both natural and professional.  And the topics that are at the heart of biomedical anthropology often necessitate discussion of sensitive topics such as race, class, identity, parenting practices and countless others. I am sure there will be missteps along the way, and I am just as sure that this will be a worthy learning experience that will ultimately make me a better scholar, a better contributor to the larger community and possibly even a better person.

Here's to the adventure.




No comments:

Post a Comment