Thursday, May 31, 2012

Understanding Evangelicals?

*Though this is not something I would typically post in a (theoretically) public forum, this article really struck a chord with me.  And I'm learning that part of being an anthropologist is really taking the time to tease out what's going on at the heart of important issues like this.  I hope that this dialogue gets somewhere, because constant miscommunication and unquestioned prejudice is at the root of so many conflicts like this one*


Do As I Do, Not As I Say?

I want to buy this theory. It's nice and neat and actually very much in line with the thinking behind my liberal ideals, though of course I can't speak for anyone else (though apparently, some people can!)  When push comes to shove, thpugh, I feel like if this were the dynamic underlying the behavior of most Evangelicals we wouldn't be in the middle of the us-vs-them shitstorm we're obviously battling. I can't wrap my brain around the theory that people can be working as hard as the author describes to be better, kinder, more godly...and yet repeatedly work against measures that seek to help those who are not in a position to help themselves. Please, if you are in a position to help me understand this, do so!  When I read this blog, I couldn't help but hear the sentiment that secular liberals are looking to take the easy way out, while Evangelical Christians are working their asses off to do what's right.  And maybe I'm just grumpy because I *am* one of those secular liberals and I'm feeling defensive and like I am being underestimated, but if it's not just me and we ARE looked upon that way for a reason,  maybe something needs to be done to change that. I KNOW that when I choose to do my part to help those around me, I am not choosing the easy way out.  I am not choosing complacency. I am choosing compassion and forethought and a commitment to work toward a greater good...which is EXACTLY what this author is suggesting that Evangelicals are doing, no?

In any case, if there's even a chance for this perspective to get more of us across the divide and working together, I want in on that.  Let's have this conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment