Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Unpacking Biocultural Anthropology

This is why I love Anthropology.  It's not something specific to see-it's a WAY of seeing- so it gets to encompass SO MUCH. So much information.  So many methodologies.  So many perspectives.  When I am reminded of what Anthropology can be, I'm surprised that I ever even considered diving into anything else. Here are some eloquent and worthwhile musings on Biocultural Anth from some of the main voices helping to bring anthropological understanding to a wider audience.  I'm grateful to have them to guide me.

Kate Clancy- I Can Out-Interdiscipline You
 http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/context-and-variation/2012/05/01/biocultural-approach/

Daniel Lende's Response @ Neuroanthropology
http://blogs.plos.org/neuroanthropology/2012/05/03/on-biocultural-anthropology/

So much of this resounds with me, but it's too much to articulate right now.  Frankly I'm a little bit completely and utterly intimidated by the ease with which these folks are conversing about such a complex topic. I haven't really sat down to figure out what "biocultural" means to me except that I know that it truly RESPECTS both perspectives equally (something that happens much less frequently than I'd like). I guess in that way I think of it as more of a philosophical standpoint (and, honestly, almost an ethical obligation from where I sit, though that might be just a touch melodramatic) than a particular way of doing science.  I know that's nowhere near enough yet, but I need loads more time time to dig deeper.

 Coming to the debate from outside of Anthro, I don't associate myself with either side in particular.  I like the IDEA of being a biological anthropologist, because I'm intrinsically more comfortable with things that are decisive and easily analyzed, but at the same time I know that there's a hell of a lot going on in my thought process that has nothing to do with pure, hard science. The degree to which any of this matters to me professionally remains to be seen, as the MS program requires coursework that is very clearly defined within one discipline or another for the most part...or at least touches on both in a way that is readily deciphered.  Regardless, though, I WANT to be thinking about this, talking about this, figuring out where I fit into this, even at this early stage in my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment